Sunday, September 23, 2007

Probe News

Alright, so Microsoft has at least not outright rejected my game yet, which isn't a bad sign - however the person they've assigned as my contact has been out of the office and won't be back until the 28th so I'm not expecting any new feed back until next Monday. That's ok - because I can use that time to rethink ideas, create magically delicious special effects, drown my sorrows in dangerous amounts of alcohol - you know kids stuff :)

So - where am I in this process, fairly early - I'm at stage "0.5". To get some perspective on how far away I really am from realizing my goal ( one published XBox Live Arcade Game ) - here's the process (taken from Microsoft's Website - see the link in my sidebar)

Step #1 – Submit Concept
Work with the Arcade Portfolio Planning team (arcade@microsoft.com) or your established account manager to determine whether your title is a good fit, and to iron out the business details. This usually includes a first glance brief regarding the game and your company. If the initial concept is approved you will fill out an official Concept Submission Form, which will go through another approval process. Before any game ideas are presented, you must sign a standard, mutual NDA. This protects both yourself and Microsoft. Note: presenting a playable prototype will go a long way in getting your title approved to the next step.

Step #2 – Kickoff
If your title is approved, you will be connected to the Arcade production team to discuss requirements and best practices that are unique to Arcade titles. You will also be lined up with Arcade-specific support materials.

Step #3 – Get Cranking!
Develop an awesome Arcade title that every Xbox 360 owner will need to have! You will work with the Arcade team along the way, to check the progress of your title at various milestones.

Step #4 – Submit to Cert
Arcade titles are certified along with all other Xbox 360 titles.

Step #5 – Release to Market
The title is made available in Marketplace and downloads begin.

I am currently only at the step of convincing them my game could work in their market. It's a long way ahead, luckily I have a steamroller and no actual life - so hard can it be ;)

No comments: